The great thing about Mesquite powder, is that it is rich in minerals and low GI with a sweet and slight caramely taste. It was a staple food for hundreds of years for people living in the desert and provided them with a great source of nutrition.
How to Use Mesquite Powder:
It is an excellent addition to smoothies, or any milk based drink, it's rich taste goes well with vanilla and chocolate. It is also an excellent addition to any baked goods such as cakes and cookies and can be sprinkled on your muesli or added to your porridge.
Health benefits of Mesquite Powder:
- This low glycaemic food is also rich in protien which makes it a great addition to the diet if you want to ensure you are getting enough protein or are simply looking for ways to increase the amount of protein you consume.
- Contains calcium, which is vital for maintaining strong and healthy bones.
- Mesquite powder is said to be rich in magnesium, an essential mineral in the body that assists with hormonal health, heart health, and helps your muscles work effectively.
- Furthermore it has the essential minerals; potassium, iron and zinc, which also play a vital role in keeping our bodies functioning optimally.
- It is a good source of the amino acid lysine, which helps with the absorption of calcium. It also helps the body produce antibodies which aid in fighting sickness.
- Mesquite has a low GI of 25 so it helps to keep stable blood sugar levels.
- It is a good food for diabetics because its natural sweetness comes from fructose which doesn't require insulin to break it down.
- This nutrient dense powder contains high levels of dietary fibre, which is important for us to maintain digestive health and to keep our bowels regular. Dietary fibre also helps us to feel fuller for longer.