Both chorella and spirulina are both microscopic plants that grow in fresh water and are called micro-algae. They have an amazing array of nutritional properties: vitamins, macrominerals, trace minerals, essential fatty acids, protein, nucleic acid(RNA and DNA), chlorophyll, and a vast spectrum of phytochemicals. Both are considered to have all the nutrients that are needed by the human body. So in effect you could live off them (however I think you would lack variety).
What are the main nutritional substances that you get in both chlorella and spirulina?
- High-quality complete protein(it is more digestible than any animal-derived protein Chlorella is 58% protein!
- All the known B vitamins, including vitamin B12 which is difficult to find in any other plant form
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Macro minerals: calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium and many more
- Trace minerals
- Omega-3 Fatty acids including GLA
- Nucleic acids(RNA & DNA)
The amazing thing about both of these algae is that the nutrients are found in near-perfect ratios to what our bodies require. This is also shown in the many healing effects that they both can have on the body and have even helped people to cure cancer (however western medicine doesn't use them as they are not endorsed by the pharmaceutical industry)
What are the health benefits of these superfoods?
Both chlorella and spirulina have been effective in treating and even reversing the following conditions:
- Severe liver damage and liver disordersIntestinal ulcers
- High blood pressure
- Bleeding gums
- Inflammation of joints and tissues
- Body odor / breath odor
- Various degenerative diseases
- Essential fatty acid deficiencies
- Mineral deficiencies
(magnesium is a common deficiency)
If this doesn't impress you enough then look a little further into how spirulina and chlorella can both help you:
- they are great to help digestion
- to boost vitality and energy levels especially for people with anemia
- if you are someone who likes to eat a lot of animal protein taking these as a supplement gives your body an easier to digest form of protein
- a great addition to the diet if you eat processed foods and are looking for a way to easily up the nutritional content of your diet.
- they help to protect the liver and kidney so good if you are taking prescription drugs.
- can help people who are overweight or obese
- good for people who take a lot of exercise or strength training to ensure they have the energy to maintain their routine
Chlorella is a great aid to detoxify the body, protect against radiation and aid in the prevention of many diseases.
While Spirulina gives you immediate energy yet it's sustained because of its simple carbohydrates, it also help to improve hormonal balance.
If you are looking to get more protein in your diet then Spirulina and chllorella are the perfect foods to add in. Spirulina is a complete protein and is the world's most digestible source of protein. The digestive absorption of each gram of protein in spirulina is four time more than that of the same gram of protein in beef. This is even more important as spirulina already contains three times more protein by weight to begin with.
Another valuable reason for taking both chlorella and spirulina is the content of Chlorophyll that is in them.
Chlorella being the richest source of chlorophyll known to man. The reason Chlorophyll is so important is because it cleanses and detoxifies the body, and it helps to remove heavy metals from your body, which if you live in the western world and eat a western diet you are sure to have.(heavy metals are found in much of the processed foods people eat, sea food and non-organic animal produce-also people with mercury filling will have exceptionally high levels of mercury in their bodies).
Differences between chlorella and spirulina!
So before I finish I want to take a look at what the differences are between Chlorella and Spirulina
Firstly what has Chlorella got to offer:
Chlorella is a richer source of chlorophyll so works well for cleansing and detoxing
It is especially good for people who need to give their liver extra support, i.e; if you drink or smoke. It works well to ease constipation. It is good for those who need rebuilding, if they have a degenerative disease especially muscular or nervous system conditions, and those who are frail.
It contains growth factor which boosts the immune system, reverses cancer and other health benefits. The growth factor can also help to repair nerve tissues in the entire body, and is especially good for people with degenerative brain and nerve disorders.
Spirulina's benefits that differ from chlorella
It is one of the best sources of protein with 12 times that of beef. It is easier on the digestive system than chlorella which can give people diarrhea if they are prone to getting it. It is the best source of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) a "good' fat that is vital for the brain, heart and other systems of the body to work efficiently. Spirulina also has phycocyanin a phytochemical that is potent against cancer, this is what gives spirulina its characteristic blue hue.
Finally both of these are great sources of nutrition for anyone who wants to have exceptional health, or even those who just want to improve their levels of health.
It is recommended to take them in a 2:1 ratio, so if you take 2 tsp of spriluna then take 1 of chlorella. I personally can not choose one over the other as they both have many health benefits and can work well in unison.